Pet lovers purchase exorbitant and exotic pets, but this
kitten about which I am writing, was neither purchased nor gifted to me. I
found it lying in a pathetic condition in a remote corner of a building in our
society. It was about the size of my palm and hunger had reduced him to less
than 500 gram in weight. I assumed that it must have been left behind by its
mother for reasons unknown to me or perhaps the mother had been killed by a
dog. My pity knew no bounds when I saw this limping, famished, helpless little
kitten. I carried it home and wondered how to look after it because I had never
kept a pet.
I lay it on some dry grass lying in the balcony. Tender rays
of the sun brought some life in him and he went and lay down under the cane
chair. Every 5 minutes I would go and check on him to see that he is not being
harassed by the pigeons or crows which frequented my balcony. I put some milk
in a bowl and placed it before him but I realized that he had not been
initiated into drinking from a bowl. In its efforts to drink, he nearly drowned
himself in the bowl of milk. I lifted him out of the bowl, dried it and fed him
milk with a spoon.
But it would not drink and I wondered why…I thought he was
being fussy. Wisdom dawned on me and I warmed the milk in the microwave and fed
it. The cutie pie drank all of it without any hassles. That was the first
knowledge I got about handling pets.
The next thing I wondered was how the poor thing would bear
this cold as it was the winter season. As one would understand, it is difficult
to find a separate place for a pet in a flat. But they say necessity is the
mother of all inventions. I found a jute stool, enclosed from all sides
(MOODA). I placed it on upside down position in my dry balcony and lined the
inside with newspaper and cotton cushions, I put some neem leaves as an
antiseptic and placed the kitten in it and I wondered at my ingenuity of being
able to take care of a small pet.
So far so good, but then I had to go to the office. Who
would now take care of my new found pet with which I was already so attached?
But my basic motherly instincts showed me a way. I left a small bowl of milk
and water in the balcony. At the office every bit of free time was devoted to
thinking and worrying about my cutie pie whether he would have had the milk,
whether he is safe from the pigeons and crows and whether he is still alive.
The moment I left my office I found myself rushing home as
if someone dear to me is waiting for me. The moment I put the key in the lock I
heard a faint meow….which gave me immense joy and satisfaction. I am sure the
feeling was mutual. The moment I opened the door of the balcony he jumped and
clung onto me as if to say, don’t leave me alone.
What a treat it was for my eyes to see his
naughty moves. This month old kitten that was weak and limping had now started
walking briskly. Then we had to go to Bhopal to celebrate Diwali at my mother
in law’s place. Now my worry was what to do with this cutie pie when we are travelling. Who would
want to shoulder that responsibility?
(It would climb on my hubby's laptop as if to say please stop being a workaholic, play with me)
I decided to take the bull by its horns and
bought a small basket and milk bottle for him. Legally you cannot carry a pet
along with you while you are travelling by train but I was running out of
options hence I decided to take the risk. Sixteen hours journey from Pune to
Bhopal was not a cake walk.
(Corners of my home that became lively because of this cutie pie)
He was sitting quietly inside the basket but
after every half an hour it let out a miaow…I fed him with milk continuously so
that his stomach was full and my co-passengers didn't notice that I was
carrying a pet. I decided to leave this cute kitten in my in-law’s place as I didn't want to snatch away his freedom of walking and roaming freely in the huge, open
courtyard of my in-laws’ home .
My relatives are very magnanimous when it comes to pampering
a cute kiddo like this (Thanks Chickoo)…
Animals can teach us a lot about patience, love, care,
compassion and relationships. Do try it…(smiles)




This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteU really remind me the touch of soft furr of him by just ur blog. Its was a kiddy time for me to play with him and watch His every naughty moves without a eye blink. Miss him too
ReplyDelete